I’ve worked in my industry for over 10 years and I love it 51% of the time. The other 49% of the time, I struggle with staying motivated. I used to be 100% motivated all day every day, but then I was introduced to burn out and I just kept rolling down the hill and never stopped.
I got over the burn out by professionally maturing and learning how to manage expectations but staying motivated was a struggle to maintain.
I tried getting a fresh perspective by taking time off, running, reading books, and meeting new people. It was a temporary fix, but it too became routine and I lost interest.
I talked to my boss about me taking on more responsibility, which I really appreciated because I learned new skills and found out that I really excelled at it. But my lack of motivation continued to be persistent. I never felt I was dragging my team down, just that I was disinterested in most things. And by the time two o’clock rolled around, I was checked out and scrolling through Instagram.
Now that I’m writing this out, I feel like I’m just bored at work. Have you ever gone through something like this before? How do you stay motivated?